Sunday 3 August 2014

The perils of standardised testing...part one

Disclaimer: I hate standardised testing. I hate administering it. I particularly hate marking the one that requires teachers to mark it. But most of all I hate the way policy makers react to the results of standardised tests.

In New York the results of the recent standardised tests suggest that student achievement is much lower than previous years.
Student Scores take a dive.

Raw Data for New York's test scores can be found here: New York Test Scores
Does the data actually give cause for alarm?

There are many factors that can affect student test scores. What could some of these be?

In my personal opinion, I do not believe that standardised testing is useful at all. For one thing, the results are released to long after the fact to be useful.

We need an alternative to standardised testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment